The Level 2 ski instructor certification is open to advanced skiers who have:
- passed the Level 1 certification or an international equivalent (must be pre-approved with the CSIA)
- paid their CSIA membership dues for the year (included with the Level 1 if you do both in the same season)
The course enables ski instructors to improve their situational teaching skills, to acquire a better understanding of CSIA technique and methodology, and the role of ski teaching within the ski industry. It combines practical ski teaching methods, technical understanding and development, and improvement of guest service skills.
Skiing and Teaching “Tracks”
There have been some recent changes to the CSIA certification process. The Level 2 Program is now offered in Skiing and Teaching “Tracks”. To acquire the complete Level 2 Certification, you must pass both of the related Skiing and Teaching components, however independent development in either of the tracks is also possible. With YES you will learn the skills to achieve both.
Candidates will receive coaching on their skiing, teaching and people skills with the goal of reaching the Level 2 standard. They will also receive suggestions and strategies for long-term development. The successful candidate is certified to teach adult skiers up to intermediate parallel skill level.
The certification consists of 3 components –
Level 2 Skier Development (2 days)
Level 2 Teacher Development (2 days)
Level 2 Exam (2 days – Teaching and Skiing)
In total the certification is a 6 day course.
Level 2 Training includes:
Performance Criteria – Learning Contract & Situation
- Identify students’ experience
- Establish goals
- Use two-way communication
- Provide individual feedback
- Integrate safe teaching practices
- Use basic class control tactics
- Use terrain for skill level of student
- Identify snow and weather conditions
- Use appropriate lesson pace
Level 2 Exam
During the Level 2 Exam portion of the course, candidates are evaluated on-snow on both their skiing and teaching skills. Candidates must pass both skiing and teaching aspects to be certified Level 2.
For more information, have a look at this candidate guide from the CSIA.